On 27 July, the long list for this year’s Man Booker Prize will be announced. Predicting the long list is extremely difficult, as the prize is open to any work of fiction first published in the UK between 1 October 2015 and 30 September 2016 that was originally written in English.
Last year I correctly predicted 3 of the 13 longlisted novels – hopefully I’ll do a little better this year!
My predictions (in no particular order) are:
- The Sport of Kings by C. E. Morgan (Fourth Estate)
- Under the Udala Trees by Chinelo Okparanta (Granta)
- Beast by Paul Kingsnorth (Faber & Faber)
- Your Heart is a Muscle the Size of a Fist by Sunil Yapa (Little Brown)
- LaRose by Louise Erdrich (Corsair)
- The Mandibles: A Family, 2029 – 2047 by Lionel Shriver (Borough Press)
- The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes (Jonathan Cape)
- Napoleon’s Last Island by Thomas Keneally (Sceptre)
- Zero K by Don DeLillo (Picador)
- The Tidal Zone by Sarah Moss (Granta)
- Devotion by Ros Barber (Oneworld Publications)
- The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry (Serpent’s Tail)
- The Outside Lands by Hannah Kohler (Picador)
I’ve only read one of these (The Essex Serpent) so far, although I do have Mandibles… and The Outside Lands.
What do you think – have you read any of these? Is there anything you’d like to see longlisted?